Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Police Officers Interviews

On the day they had to fall,
they gave their all.
Wearing brown or blue,
they were protecting and serving you.
It started as just a simple call
and ended in tragedy.
"Officer down," the radio announced.
At the scene the brave man pronounced dead,
The killers had fled.
Another widow cries,
yet no one tries
to stop the killing
of these men and women willing
to risk their lives every day for you.
Always remember the law enforcement
that gave their all,
on the day they had to fall.
(Heckenkamp , 1999)






For this assignment I interviewed two officers on the Phoenix Arizona police force. I interviewed a male and a female officer.
Date: August 25 2009
Location of the Interview: Phone interview
Gender: Female
Age: 31
Race/ethnicity: Hispanic/white
Years of experience: 9
Rank: Officer
Education: 2 year degree in general studies
Type of agency: Maricopa County Deputy Constable
1. Why did you become a police officer? Did you find what you expected? Why or why not? The reason I joined law enforcement was the great deal of benefits, opportunity for promotion and advancement and the flexibility of my job. It is what I expected but there are a lot of politics involved in the agency.
2. What are the worst parts of your job and why? The position I hold now is different than the position I held at the beginning of my employment. Now I am an officer of the court, judges have signed orders that I have to carry out; there is a lot of confrontation and high emotion and stress involved in eviction and dealing with people at that low point of their lives.
3. What are the best parts of your job and why? I like contacting people and I am good at it. Fellow employees that are good at what they do make my job enjoyable. The flexibility of my schedule as a wife and mother is one of the best parts of my job.
4. Would you recommend policing as a career to others and why? I have before and still do, it is a good career that will always be in demand so it offers stability and security as well.
5. Based on your experience what level of education do you recommend police applicants should be required to possess? At least a two year general degree to prepare the potential officer for writing and public speaking. The police academy covers most of the on the job training that the officer will need.
6. Have you ever regretted becoming a police officer? Yes, but the feeling did not last forever. My friend and dear partner was killed on the job, it makes it hard and you have to stop and think about your own family.
7. How did your family feel about your decision to be an officer? My father was proud and my mother was a little apprehensive. My husband was completely supportive. Some family members and friends make a judgment based on what you do and somehow think that you have changed since you became an officer.
8. What advice do you have for a potential police officer? Always think of your own safety so you can make it home to your family. Stay physically and mentally healthy remember all the rules of officer safety and be a good role model. I want to make my children proud, my mom always told me to treat people as if you were dealing with your grandmother, be nice and thoughtful as well.

Maria is a great example of what an asset female police officers can be she is physically in shape very intelligent and seems to maintain a great balance of professional life and family life.

Date: September 1, 2009
Location of the Interview: Phone interview
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Race/ethnicity: Hispanic
Years of experience: 4
Rank: Patrol
Education: Some college
Type of agency: Municipal
1. Why did you become a police officer? Did you find what you expected? I became a police officer mainly due to family history it was a tradition I was expected to follow, it was all that I expected it would be.
2. What are the worst parts of your job and why? The worst parts of my job are when I see bad things happen to families or children, just tragedies that happen to good people.
3. What are the best parts of your job and why? Being able to apprehend people that are breaking the law and stop children from being hurt are the best parts of my job.
4. Would you recommend policing as a career to others and why? I defiantly recommend policing to anyone serious about helping others, the security and pay and benefits are also great.
5. Based on your experience what level of education do you recommend police applicants should be required to possess? Some college is probably enough.
6. Have you ever regretted becoming a police officer? No
7. How did your family feel about your decision to be an officer? My family was all supportive and proud of my decision to become a police officer. My mom is already used to the lifestyle of a police officer’s family she dealt with it for years with my father being an officer.
8. What advice do you have for a potential police officer? Gaining a lot of life experience before becoming a police officer will benefit you in the future, make sure you are willing to work with others.

Officer Ortega sounds like a great police officer as well though I have never met him. Ortega sounds like he has a pretty set plan for his career in law enforcement. The areas where Maria and Ortega differ are in years of experience, required education, and gender. Maria has more years of experience under her belt which may make her perception of her job different. Maria has also lost a partner which could have influenced her in a negative way but did not. The required education that Maria recommends is more extensive than Ortega’s recommendation. I have to agree with Maria on the education, I feel that at minimum the applicant should have a two year degree in college. The rest of the necessary skills can be learned at the academy and on the job.
This assignment was a great insight into the thoughts of police officers for me. I have always had a great deal of respect for officers, just the amount of emotional pressure they must be under seeing things that the general public does not want to see or deal with. Police officers take on the task and oath to protect us and uphold the laws. Some people see officers as the “bad guys” that are going to write them a ticket or give them an attitude, but for the most part I believe that people who become officers do it for the right reasons. Their jobs require a lot of sacrifice and dedication to the laws of our land and citizens as well.

2 comments:

  1. I liked it, and mine was similar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post,

    Police forces invite people from all streams of life, people from all religions to serve the society. To become a police officer one must come out of religious lines, racial lines to serve the society. People from minority communities joining security forces is welcome sign.

    ReplyDelete