Tuesday, June 23, 2009

what criminal justice means to me

What does criminal justice mean to me? I think criminal justice is a necessary entity in our society today. Criminals exist in our society so it makes sense to have a system of justice to deal with the criminals. Criminal element has been around as long as established order in classes of society. Justice is the moral principle determining just conduct. Bring to justice, to cause to come before a court for trial or to receive punishment for one's misdeeds. (Justice n.d.).
Justice has different meaning for different people. For a victim of crime it can just be peace and security, knowing I can sleep soundly tonight with the perpetrator of the crime locked in prison. It could be getting even or taking revenge, it could be retribution paying me back monetarily. Personally in my opinion justice is accountability. If a crime is committed against myself or my loved one I need to know the perpetrator is accountable for their actions. That is being brought to justice, to have to answer for the choices an individual knowingly made, and then going through the steps of our criminal justice system and accepting their consequence.
Life is not fair and I have yet to read anywhere that life supposed to be fair. Sometimes I wonder why bad things happen to good people, and why good things happen for bad people. I do know that laws are in place to protect society, when the laws are broken some form of justice must be carried out to send the message to society that we are on the right track. What I mean by on the right track is that the offender doesn’t just get away with being a social deviant. A correct measure of justice can serve as a deterrent to prevent would be criminals.
Just deserts, this is a philosophy of justice that says if someone violates the rights of others they deserve to be punished. I tend to agree with that. I think reasonable people in society have the knowledge of what is right and what is wrong. What I don’t agree with in the just deserts model is that punishment is not based on deterring or the likely hood of future crime committed. I feel that people should be punished harshly and I agree with three strikes you’re out laws. I don’t have all the answers, I suppose some criminals can be rehabilitated but not sexual predators. I think sexual predators are the worst kind of criminals and will strike again. (Senna & Siegel, 1999)
My feelings on the death penalty are conflicting. A society that respects human’s life does not end human life. On the other hand I think there are some crimes that are just so horrible maybe the offender doesn’t deserve life. The ACLU has some convincing points regarding the death penalty, it is cruel and unusual, it is irrevocable, and not a viable for of crime control. I tend to think the death penalty is not so great but what can we do with the people that cannot be rehabilitated? (Bedau, 1997)
I would like to enter in to one of two fields after earning my bachelors in criminal justice administration. I have always had a strong desire to help younger people. I believe that juvenile probation officer would be a great fit. I believe strongly that if we step in at the right time in a young person’s life we can affect them for the good. To cause a young person to change the path of social deviance they were headed down would be a wonderful feeling. It may be pessimistic but I have little hope for adults in the system.
Another path I can see myself on is in the victim’s advocate field. To be that voice and support for a person who has been put through a nightmare would be rewarding. I can see that it would be an emotionally hard job to do, and that’s something I will have to determine if I can handle the emotion that comes with that job.
I have some time to make a final decision, I have to earn this degree and wait until my children are all in school. Another important factor in deciding on a career is the schedule, I have to be available to my four children I won’t allow them to come home to an empty home. Part of the problem with young offenders in my opinion is not having someone home. I will do everything I can through my career choice to see justice carried out and less crime committed. My children have to grow up in this world, it’s scary but I will do all I can to make it more just.

No comments:

Post a Comment